Sunday, September 05, 2010

Flit!

Nature Display: A Picture A Day
Blog Post #3

Female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird - Front Porch: Leander, TX
The Scoop:
Here's a shot of a hummingbird on one of our feeders.  I took this shot a couple weeks ago, we had three hummers coming back and forth to the porch to feed.  I pretty much stood outside a couple feet from the feeder for a good 45 minutes and snapped pics.  It's crazy just how loud these little guys are when they fly by; sounded like an angry hornet was coming for me each time.  If I have done my identification correctly, this picture is of an adult female Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  Of the three I saw, two are female and one is male.  The male hummer has some gorgeous colors but proved to be much more elusive to the camera.  I have always loved hummers; my first tattoo is of a hummingbird & flower and of course the entire background theme of this blog is hummingbirds.  It was very exciting to see them all chasing after each other and zooming around the front yard and they've been back several times since.

Here's a site with some more info on this species of hummer:

No comments:

Post a Comment