Sunday, September 19, 2010

Jiminy Cricket!!

Nature Display: A Picture A Day
Blog Post #17

Greater Arid-land Katydid - Side door: Leander, TX
The Scoop:
This guy scared the *$#%! out of me today.  My mom and I were headed out the side door of our house to run an errand; she walked out before me and then I start to notice something in my peripheral vision...something on the door, something large and out of place.  Then I realized it's a GIANT creature and I frrrrreaked out!  I was yelp-screaming and shut the door behind my mom while I stayed in the house.  She told me later she was thinking - oh gosh it's gotta be something bad.  Finally got calmed down enough to realize it was this larger than life grasshopper - the thing is GIANT.  In another pic my mom held her hand up to him and he was like half the size.  We shot this pic, ran our errand and came back home to find him still sitting there "guarding the door."  Here's some fun facts I read up on this species. 

Common name: Red-eyed Devil...check! 
Identification: Large and spiny, distinctive...check!
Habitat: Oak-juniper woodlands, desert with mesquite or other brush...check!
Range: Parts of central and west Texas, southern New Mexico, southeastern Arizona...check!
Season: June-October...check!
Food: Voraciously omnivorous...not gonna test that...
Remarks: When approached, said to sometimes threaten and attack, may bite and draw blood...YIKES!!

Out on our errand we had continued to recall my freak-out moment and my mom compared it to this guy's reaction to a similar situation in this one viral video from waaaay back...and by golly she was right 'cept I continued to scream instead of falling.

See the video here:

No comments:

Post a Comment