Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gotcha! ..Maybe not?

Nature Display: A Picture A Day
Blog Post #9

House Gecko - Garage wall: Leander, TX
The Scoop:
Well I was going to post a picture of a spider that I took this evening, but I was first taking the time to identify it.  I browsed images of spiders on the web and it just might be an extremely venomous spider and the whole search has completely freaked me out..so I have submitted those pictures to a spider identification forum.  I reeeeeeally hope it's just a look-a-like to the poisonous species.

Another gecko!!!  I love these guys :)  This is exactly the kind of commonly found gecko we used to capture as kids and keep in a terrarium.  You have to be quick because these lil' buggers are FAST and if you try to grip it by the tail it falls right off!  Yup, in case you didn't know - a gecko can lose it's tail as a defensive mechanism and then a new tail will eventually grow back in its place!  The tail that falls off will still wriggle around for a bit too and make the predator think it still has a hold of the gecko.  Meanwhile, he's run out of harms way.  This guy is a house gecko and he is nocturnal and preys on insects and spiders.

Here's another cool house gecko picture I came across:

No comments:

Post a Comment